Friday, October 20, 2006

Recent thoughts

I don't know if anybody will respond to this, but I just have just been having some thoughts and observations that I wanted to put out there and see what others are thinking . I have been thinking more about "The Emerging Church", and "The Modern Church".
I recently observed a church out here that associates with the Emergent Church movement. I was astounded at the diversity of the people that came to worship. I realize being a youth director now that I am dealing with an "emerging" generation. As postmodernity influences our culture, I see the many challenges the church is facing. I see the challenge before me of communicating the unchanging message of Jesus to emerging generations...and it's tough. I have found myself asking the question a lot.. Should living in an increasingly post Christian culture, effect current and future ministry methodologies in our modern church? I can't help but recognize when I see what these churches are doing and that they are reaching a generation of people who otherwise would be turned off to the "modern church". Or am I missing something? I see more and more of an emerging generation out here that is being raised in a post Christian atmosphere, and it has me asking a lot of questions about reaching them effectively and engaging them. I'm seeing that as ministry continues to go on, this can't be ignored, which brings me to the realization that America is a missionary frontier. I think as pastors and youth leaders, it's important to realize that we are missionaries working with post Christian generations. I guess my big question is what do you think about reaching a post modern generation, who doesn't attend church ?

Sometimes I feel that church is more consumer and less missional. Basically I see people coming to be fed, and having their needs met by hired "professionals" who are going to teach their kids about God. The church almost becomes a dispenser of religious goods and services. I've always seen the church as a body of people who are on a mission and who gather together for community and worship and teaching IN ADDITION to what they are feeding themselves with spiritually throughout the week.

I can see that an Emerging Church and Modern Church definitely have different values. I'm not one to think there is a right or wrong or better between the two, but I see them as different values for different mindsets. Laying it out like that helps me to put it in perspective. It also puts me in a position to really think about how I do ministry to be effective.

I'm not ready to go and jump on the Emerging Church bandwagon, however this movement recently has me pondering a lot of different stuff, and I just wanted to put some of it out there and see what anybody thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missional Jerry said...

"Sometimes I feel that church is more consumer and less missional. Basically I see people coming to be fed, and having their needs met by hired "professionals" who are going to teach their kids about God. The church almost becomes a dispenser of religious goods and services."

This is so true. It's why I believe all churchesmust be missional.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff Robinson said...

Hey Brandon, I think you're saying a lot of good things here. I'm still trying to figure out what it means to be missional, but I like the word. Also, I think in the midst of a consumer society, we need to emphasize "being" the church. Christians are not part of an educational institution or social club called "the church", but are to be a community radically changed by the death and resurrection of Christ, seeking to embody the gospel to each other and to the whole world. Perhaps that's one way to describe being missional. I look forward to more of your thoughts.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home