Thursday, November 02, 2006

Football Pride

Having pride in your hometown football team can go a long way. For me, it may send me 8 hr's. In an effort to back my Pittsburgh Steelers 100% in this time of turmoil, I just laid the cards on the table with Samuel Wilsey. (An avid Denver fan). We got to talking during an afternoon IM chat, and as the smack talk and testosterone for football kept progressing, it led to our eventual bet. He insists that the Steelers won't make it to even the playoffs. Which as much as I hate to admit is a very strong possibility. However based on what happened last year with the Steelers, it can happen. Anyway, we agreed that if his team (Denver Broncos), who are 5-2 right now(5-3 after the Steelers beat them this week) make it to the AFC Championship, I will travel out to where he lives in Cleveland to watch the Broncos in the AFC championship. However if the Steelers make the playoffs, he will come out here to NJ to watch their first playoff game. If neither team makes the playoffs, we agreed to meet halfway for coffee and lament together. My risk is a lot higher in this bet I know, but my love for the Burgh runs deep, and until they are out of the playoff hunt in every way numerically possible, they are still in, and always will be tops in my book. No fickle fan here. And yes..next year is the year for the Pirates...count it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm already preparing the Blue and Orange welcome banner to hang off our balcony so you won't be confused about where the game is.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jeff Robinson said...

By "year for the Pirates" do you mean the "year they decide it's not worth it to keep the lights on past 8:30, so the team start to only play 4 inning games, which may surprisingly up the Buc's winning percentage, because the games called on account of darkness can't be held against them"? That was the first interpretation of "year for the Pirates" that I could come up with.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

dude are you coming to the natti? we need to hook up for lunch or something.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have NO clue who I am I'm going to ask you a question or two. 1 What do you look like? 2 What grade are you in and IM me at... SweetyThang64...whenever you get this!!!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry bud, but SIX turnovers isn't going to get anyone to the playoffs... especially such a terrible team like the 'Black & Blue, Gold'

See you in Cleveland!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home